I follow Domino Sugar on Twitter, and they recently posted a link to Brown Sugar Brownies. Not blondies, mind you, but chocolate brownies with brown sugar instead of white. I was immediately intrigued and knew I was going to have to make brownies that night.
However, I took a closer look and decided to alter a different recipe instead of using my inspiration recipe. The Domino Sugar recipe batch was too small, and it called for beating the butter. This made me skeptical because most brownie recipes called for melting the butter.
I love those little squares of Baker’s Chocolate – there’s something so comforting about the solid- and square-and old-fashioned-ness of these. Or something. Baker’s Chocolate also, incidentally, always reminds me of the part in Steve Almond’s book Candyfreak where he talks about the cruelty of unsweetened chocolate to chocolate and candy lovers.
After you chop up the chocolate, you melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Gross at first, then delicious. You could do this over a double boiler as well, if you don’t have a microwave.
You mix in the sugars – I replaced half the white sugar with brown. After some online research, I was afraid to replace all of the white sugar because I was worried it wouldn’t hold up. However, I think next time I would try more brown sugar. Then you add in the eggs, flour, and walnuts.
Cut up and stacked, ready for co-workers. They brownies turned out wonderfully. I haven’t been able to make brownies from scratch very successfully before, but these were everything I wanted. Moist, chocolatey, thick with a crunchy top. Yum.
Brownies with Brown Sugar and Walnuts
Yield: 24 normal sized brownies, 36 small brownies (I cut mine pretty small)
Prep time: 15 min
Bake time: 30-35 minutes
Total time: 50 min
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1.5 sticks)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1-2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 13×9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan.
- Grease foil (I sprayed with baking spray).
- Roughly chop chocolate (it helps it melt faster).
- Melt chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in white and brown sugars.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in flour, salt, and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 min. or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- When cooled, remove brownies from pan, using foil handles, and cut into squares.
*Updated ingredient list and directions for clarity 7/31/10